Sunday, September 24, 2006

Hive-Tastic in Krakow

Hello from Poland!

Kim and I have been in Krakow for about four days now and we've just been relaxing after the intense-ness of Prague. The city is really laid-back and low-key. The food here is really good. The Poles are big on meats and cheeses stuffed into dumplings or covered in gravy goodness. I do kinda miss kim chi, though!

There are about a million churches in this city, but I guess that's understandable considering that something like 97% of the population is a practicing Catholic! We went on a walking tour of the city and our very enthusiastic tour guide (who was from New York, but loved this city so much that he dropped everything back home just to come back here to live) told us lots of nifty stories about each one. However, after 6+ hours, they all seemed to blend together and now I can't really tell one saint from another. We also went to Auschwitz to see the concentration camps there and as you can imagine, it was all very interesting/informative, albeit with very depressing undertones. But it's something that needs to be done, I suppose, as it was such an important chapter in Polish and European history.

Everything was going peachy-keen until two nights ago. We were at an outdoor restaurant and I think I got bit by some mosquito-like bug. I got an itchy little bump, as was expected, but that wasn't the end of the story. I woke up the next morning COVERED in hives. Dozens and dozens of gross swollen itchy red bumps. It looks kinda of like I have plague or something! I thought of taking a picture, but I wouldn't be able to upload it until after my trip or something and by then, it wouldn't really be pertinent anymore. Maybe I'll still do it anyway; after all, gross things fascinate me. The hives are starting to dissipate a little now (thank GOD) and while I don't think I'll be itch-free for at least another few days, it's good that I'm not being driven to insanity by the the persistent burning.

Aside from that, we'll be heading to Budapest tomorrow. There is news of political demonstrations, but apparently they aren't too violent and they've mostly been limited to government buildings. We should probably be OK. I'll make sure to stick to brightly lit streets and to try not and get between the angry mob or the riot police!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home