Thursday, September 14, 2006

Berlin

Greetings from Berlin!

I just wanted to make a post letting you all know that I have reached Germany safe and sound. It took about a million years to get here, but long story short, I finally met up with Kim at our Hostel (which has a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy theme) and we've spent the last two days wandering around being touristy. I wish I could post pictures, but they will have to come at a later date when I can find an internet cafe which will let me download the photos off of my camera. Tomorrow, we plan on starting the "eastern" europe part of our mostly nonexistent itinerary by heading to Prague. We haven't decided on an exact location nor have we booked a hostel or anthing, but that's the fun of backpacking, right? Or so they say...

I'm having serious issues with this German keyboard. The Y and the Z are switched, and the at sign, the apostrophe, the question mark... lots and lots of keys are switched around, so pardon me if there are any typos, it's probably because my fingers are confused.

In any case, the first thing that struck me about Berlin was that it is super duper clean. Not unlike the city streets of Japan. There are about a million sushi places here, too. I cannot speak a word of German, so I've been leaning heavily on Kim to do things like order food for me. It's so weird to be in a place where I am utterly illiterate, because at least in Japan, I could make out at least some of written language (damn that evil kanji!!). Unfortunately, it's not going to get any easier. I guess we will just have to depend on the wide-spread use of English and the universal language of smiling, apologizing, and using lots of hand gestures. I should be good at this; it got me through two years of living in Japan.

Yesterday, in a fit of touristy zeal, I bought an old East German military style communist hat. I realized after buying the hat that since I will be travelling to many formerly communist nations or nations which may have been occupied by Germany during WWII, maybe I should keep the hat under wraps until I am safely back in the western world. Gee, good thing I purchased this while I still have like a month left to go. Oh well. I like my communist hat. It'll go well with my communist shirt.

Well, that is all I can think of at the moment. I had a bunch of stories that I wanted to tell you but my brain is working on autopilot and I can't remember them anymore. If they come to mind, I'll post them. Until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home