Friday, July 28, 2006

Tidbits

It's 3pm on Friday and I can't wait to get out of here. It's been a long week and I'm heading to London this weekend for some much needed time off.

Sunburn: Over the last week, I have covered myself in aloe vera gel like 10 times a day in hopes to minimize the horrors of sunburn aftermath. Good news is that the tenderness and pain are gone and although I've started to peel, it's not bad and it seems to be localized to the tops of my shoulders only.

Heat Wave: Apparently, this July has been the hottest July on record (since they started keeping records of temperatures in 1911) for the UK and August is predicted to be even hotter. Wheeee. I'm just glad I wasn't in Woodland Hills on that fateful weekend when the temperature skyrocketed to 119.

Lab Work: Overwhelming. I have two weeks left and about 30 things to do still. I think my dissertation will just have to do without.

Dissertation: I have to submit a form stating my intent to submit a dissertation and the Graduate Office wanted all of the MRes students to try and link their three projects under one all-encompassing title. Try as I might, I can't find the commanality between:
1) Mutational Analysis of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Gal3p
2) Wnt Signalling in Human Bone Marrow Stem Cell Chondrogenesis
3) Characterization of the Novel Human PH Domain Protein FAM109A
I guess I could submit a dissertation entitled "Molecular and Cell Biology of Many Different Unrelated Systems and Organisms" but I don't think that'll fly. I'm gonna leave all of those titles as is. Unless you can help me think of a better overall title.

Boyfriend: JP has returned from his week-and-a-half job-hunting trip to the U.S. and good news all around. Smart boy pretty much got job offers from all three institutions. Now if only I could find a job...

Random Link: Found this cool internet tshirt store, Threadless, which features designs created by the public and picked by the public through online voting. I especially like the "Shakespeare Hates Your Emo Poems" one.

Make-up: I have been on a quest to find a good mascara ever since I was brainwashed by popular media into believe that thicker longer lashes were the way to go. I always had the hugest problem with clumpy lashes until I found MaxFactor Masterpiece Mascara (it's the one that endorsed in the UK by the make-up artist for Memoirs of a Geisha). It has these nifty rubber bristles and they never ever clump. It's pretty cool. But I still kinda wanna try that stuff where you have to put on that white fiber coat before the color to make your lashes really really thick. I'm such a sucker for new products.

Entertainment: Kim gave me a whole bunch of DVDs to watch before I came to the UK and one of them had the first series of Veronica Mars, a tv show set near San Diego about a high school super-sleuth . I finished all 20-some-odd episodes in a week. It's pretty good, so check it out if you're bored or in need of a new TV show to watch.

I think that's all for now. It's time to go and catch my train. Have a good weekend everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home