Sunday, June 25, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

Life is full of decisions. Cup or cone? Paper or plastic? Would you like fries with that?

I tend to be very indecisive, so when the options are narrowed down for me, it usually makes my life easier. The U.S. and Korea were both knocked out of the World Cup last week so I no longer have to decide on who to support. England it is.

However, life is never always that simple, so in order to avoid having to decide purely on my own, I'm going to ask you all for help with two non-life-changing decisions that I've taken upon myself to make.

Case Number 1: My Laptop

Decision to be Made: Whether or not to bring this computer home

Pros: This computer still works 98% of the time. Despite its finickiness, I have devised a system which allows me to deal with most of its quirks. I'm no hard-core gamer or anything so I don't really need a computer with better specs. It's been to Japan and England and has served me faithfully in treating boredom and writing my masters dissertation. Despite it's heaviness for a laptop, it's still FAR more mobile than my desktop.

Cons: The 2% of the time that it doesn't work is when for no reason, without warning, it refuses to start up and requires me to reinstall Windows. I've lost some data due to this, but fortunately nothing important. There's a problem with sound output, as the right speaker (as well as the right side of any peripherals I plug in: speakers, headphones, etc) doesn't work. The CD drive doesn't read movies on DVD and had issues reading burnt data DVD discs.

Summary: The cons are all annoying but they're not severely detrimental. The whole system works, but not without both software and hardware problems. If I end up not bringing it back home, I'll still have a fully functional desktop, but to reiterate, my laptop does actually mostly work.

I'm at a complete loss for what to do.

Case Number 2: Shoes (it's been FAR too long since my last shoe-related entry!)

Decision to be Made: Which shoe I should purchase

Candidate A: The Safe, Functional Sneaker
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the shoe that I was originally going to go for. Nothing out of the ordinary. It will serve me well on a daily basis and cradle my non-skater foot in cushiony comfort. I would be perfectly happy wearing this shoe, even if it's not edgy.

Candidate B: The Flashy Rockstar Boot
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I found this shoe while browsing the web for shoes as I often do (shame on me, I know) and fell in love instantly. It won't be functional, but what it lacks in dependability it will more than make up for in coolness and boldness (qualities I always find useful in shoes since I tend to wear plain clothes and prefer wearing crazy shoes/accessories). I am almost sold on this shoe and am on the verge of clicking the "put in shopping cart" button, but I have two main concerns. First, I am afraid that wearing these boots the wrong way could lead to a white-trashiness look, but I figure that being a generally conscientious dresser (ie, I would never pull a Britney-esque cowboy boots, hippie skirt, bare midriff combo) and being Asian would negate the white-trash thing. Secondly, and more importantly, I'm afriad that by the time the weather gets cool enough for boots, these will be passe or something. Sooo winter 2005/6. Are red cowboy boots to pop-star trendy for me? I think I can pull it off, but not too terribly sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home