Monday, January 16, 2006

I started my second rotation today and I'm really excited about this project.

For my fellow nerds: I'll be looking at the Wnt cell signalling pathway to see how it drives early chondrogenic differentiation in mesenchymal stem cells. By using varying concentrations of a particular Wnt ligand, I'll be able to see if there are any changes in expression of ECM related genes and how that affects differentiation events.

For the non-bio-nerds: Stem cells can develop into any kind of cell in a particular organ or tissue and are important for maintaining cell populations (for example, for making new red blood cells to replace old ones) and repairing damage/injuries. For my project, I will be studying human adult bone marrow stem cells to see how they develop into cartilage cells (chondrocytes).

Because it was my first day, I didn't have much to do except set up my cell cultures so that they can start growing. However, I did manage to spill HeLa cells all over myself. For the uninitiated, HeLa cells are derived from human cervical cancer cells, so yes, I spilled cancer on my hand today. In my defense, the cap on the tube was not in perfectly working order. What a great way to make a first impression. Really, I'm not THAT much of a spaz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home