Thursday, September 29, 2005

My second week here draws to a close and I must say, tensions amongst me and the other masters students are running high. Let me explain:

The program in which I am participating at Manchester University is a Masters of Research (or MRes for short). It's not like any of the masters programs back at home and is more like the first year of a bio PhD. I don't have any classes or exams to take (aside from the odd tutorial on communications/teaching/writing skills) and my grades will be determined solely by the three different research projects that I will perform throughout the school year. I have to write up reports on these lab rotations, present my research when/where appropriate, and then write the mother of all theses at the end of it all.

Which leads me to why everyone is a giant stress-case right now. We have until the end of this week (tomorrow) to find our first supervisor. I have emailed about 4 professors and I have heard back from 2. One I met with, and another has told me that there is no room in his lab for the first rotation. In a state of panic, I was going to email a couple more potential supervisors last night, but when I talked to some of the other MRes students, they were interested in the same projects as me. I figured there was no real point in trying to get the attention of one particular supervisor if there were 4 or 5 other MRes students dancing outside his office.

Blaaah. I will meet with the first prof again tomorrow and hopefully, he still has room in his lab. I will feel much better on Friday evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home