Thursday, April 21, 2005

Countdown: 96 days

"Countdown to what?" you may ask. 96 days until my plane touches down in sunny LA, that's what! I am booked to arrive on Tuesday, July 26th at 10:20am. I'm waitlisted for the flight that arrives one day earlier at the same time, so you might all get to see me (or say bye to me, depending on where you are) in just 95 days. Hopefully I'll get around to mailing my winter wardrobe (why why WHY do I have so many clothes and shoes?!) home sooner rather than later and I've started organizing my more successful and entertaining lesson plans for my successor. I still have three months to go, but having witnessed the frantic last-minute running around of the JETs who were leaving last year, I think it'll be a good idea for me to get started early. Knowing me, I'll leave SOMETHING to the last minute and I'll have a crapload of stuff to deal with anyway.

I'm excited to be going home. I can't wait to bite into an In-n-Out cheeseburger, to watch a movie in an air-conditioned stadium-seating theater that didn't cost $20, and to go shopping in stores where I am not an unnaturally large/tall size. I have so much I need to do and see in that month that I'll be back. And for you Bay Area folks, no need to worry, because I plan on making it up there sometime in August.

Speaking of the Bay Area, Eva pointed out this interesting little tidbit of news regarding the laptop that was stolen from a Berkeley MCB professor. Long story short, that was a bad idea. Never ever mess with the belongings of a professor from a world-class research institute. These professors only teach like 5 or 10 weeks a year, so they MUST be filling the rest of their time doing something state-of-the-art and not for the eyes of us mere mortals. I wonder what happened to that student? Best case scenario: he failed Bio 1A, got kicked out of the MCB program, and thus ruined his chances of ever getting into med school. All so that he could get his hands on a copy of the upcoming midterm. As if the professor wouldn't have just written a new one. Should have just studied. You know, like the rest of us. Idiot.

Had an interesting "teaching" experience today. I'm convinced that all of my JTE's think I'm incompetent and/or stupid:

JTE: Can you pass out these worksheets?
Me: Of course.
JTE: These 2 rows have 6 students. The next two rows have 5. The last two rows have 6 students.
Me: Thank you. But next time, you don't need to tell me. I can count. (I said this in the nicest way possible. Seriously!)
JTE: (smiles) Oh, OK.

She procceeded to repeat this for the remaining four classes we taught today. But you know, I should be really grateful. I mean, because she helped me out in class, I didn't have to admit my embarrassing secrets. I am blind AND I can't count past four. Thank you JTE-san.

Currently Reading: The God Of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
Currently Playing: Electric Ladyland - Fantastic Plastic Machine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home