Monday, March 21, 2005

Miles traveled: 3600 (approx.)
Hours spent traveling: 50
Days spent on slopes: 15
Major wipe-outs: 4
Bones broken: 0

The ski/snowboard season is now over (for me anyway) and I have retired Blue Steel after having spent the last three days in Niigata-ken with Shannon, Ruth, Alice, and Jeff. The snow was slushy and wet, but the weather was fantastic and I have a pseudo-raccoon-eyes tan to prove it. Hopefully, that'll fade soon; it's (Kathryn: IT IS) kind of embarrassing.

It was all a bit of a stressful ordeal for me because every Japanese person who skis or snowboards also anticipated the coming of spring and decided to utilize the last three-day weekend of winter to head for the snow-covered hills. The Japanese, being generally more diligent than me, had booked hotels further in advance, leaving me and Alice to call and harass half a dozen hotels and hostels in hopes of finding places to stay. Not to mention the fact that we had to deal with coordinating train times, meeting places, lift passes, and cab rides, and trying to reason with a neurotic hotel proprietress. I guess I had been spoiled by the ease of organizing previous trips and I wasn't prepared for the increased influx of desperate skiers and snowboarders who all had the same brilliant idea of squeezing in one last ride.

The slopes were crowded and the snow was subpar, but the company was good and I think everyone had a pretty good time. Unfortunately, on my last run, I got a bit cocky and decided to try and take a jump, only to land face first in a nice patch of ice and slightly melted snow. I managed to get snow down the front of my jacket and down my pants. Serves me right. But good news is that I managed to survive an entire season without seriously injuring myself or breaking my board in half.

I'm posting from a school computer, so you'll have to wait a little bit for snow photos.

On an entirely side note, Bryan will attempt to stand in line for some ridiculously ludicrous amount of time, all in an attempt to be one of the first to watch the 3rd installment of the prequel from hell: Star Wars Episode III, Revenge of the Sith. Go support him and his cause. I'm rooting for you, you crazy bastard!

Currently Reading: From the Dust Returned - Ray Bradbury
iTunes Update: "Stomach Gurgling" is currently unavailable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home