Thursday, November 11, 2004

I'm living in a country where the students are a bunch of ignorant pricks who can't keep their fuckin' mouths shut. Where they can get away with anything. Where they have zero respect for their teachers. Where I have to shout until I lose my voice to get the students to play a game. A GAME.

A country where the teachers I work with are incompetent and can't think for themselves. Where they don't do their jobs and expect me to pick up the slack for their lack of preparation. Where they don't communicate with me that they expect me to do EVERYTHING for a class without help until 2 minutes before that class starts.

This is a country where they pick me apart like some lab animal. Nearly every single day now for the last three weeks, SOMEONE just had to make a comment about what I'm eating for lunch. For crying out loud, I eat the same food as you. I shop in the SAME GROCERY STORE. Yes, I eat apples and rice and bread and fish and miso soup, and cabbage JUST LIKE YOU. I'm an American for Christ's sake. Not some fucking alien from another planet. America, another planet... I guess it's all the same to the people of this close-minded backwards country.

And to put the icing on the cake, it's a country where I can't do a goddamn thing about anything because that's just the way things are. As they say, "shigata ga nai" (Translation: It can't be helped).

Well, guess what? Things can be helped if they would get their collective heads out of their collective asses and take a good look around. Believe it or not, things aren't perfect in Japan and things can be changed for the better. They can start by just THINKING before saying something so completely stupid it makes my head hurt. Or by realizing that foreigners might have some useful advice and actually listening to what I have to say.

Sometimes, I really wonder what the hell I was thinking when I signed on for a second year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home