Wednesday, October 06, 2004

To my States-side readers: I bring you another lesson in Japanese-style English.

A Trip To Mongolia

An ocean of grasslands is around Ulaanbaatar. In Ulaanbaatar modern life and traditional life come together. I saw a cloud of dust. It was the dust of a hundred sheep. A young boy was guiding them. His name was Boldoo. "You ride well," I said. "Thank you," he said. "I like my horse, but I want a motorbike too." Boldoo and I became friends.

I visited Boldoo's family. They live in a ger, a Mongolian house. When I went in, Boldoo said, "Be careful. Watch your head." His mother made me some dishes. They were new to me.

At night Boldoo played the batokin. The sound was sad and sweet. They sky was wide and deep. I almost touched the stars.

* * *

My 2nd year students can now say "I almost touched the stars" but they're still struggling with "good afternoon" because it's not in their textbooks. I guess that's where I come in, with my expertise in practical every-day English!

Currently reading: Orson Scott Card - Shadow Puppets (I really should stop reading such garbage)
Currently playing: School chime. Classes are OVER for the day. Sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home