Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Dave, a little patience please.

My parents are currently in Japan and the last two weeks or so have been a crazy mish-mosh of frantic cleaning, elementary school visits, sports festivals, and unofficial tour-guide duties. I'm pooped and this whirlwind doesn't show any signs of letting up; I'm trying to organize a weekend trip to Kyushu with my parents but I just got word that a typhoon has plans to visit Kyushu this weekend as well.

But despite wanting to bash my head against a wall in hopes that it will knock me out and leave me in the peaceful state of unconsciousness, I take time out of my whacked-out schedule to bring you photos from Seitoku Junior High School's annual sports festival (actually, the English teacher called in sick today and my classes got cancelled, so I'm caught at work with nothing productive to do). Brace yourselves...


The 1st year boys' 400m relay. Yes, they are running barefoot. Yes, that is a serious breech in practically every safety code of any American school. Yes, those boys ended up with band-aid covered feet.


Reminds you of Braveheart, no? In this game, they put 5-foot long metal poles in the center of the field and the teams line up at the endfield. When the gun goes off everyone runs like mad to try and grab a pole and carry back to their side of the field. If you're fast enough, you can snatch one before anyone else can, otherwise, you have to play tug-of-war in hopes of dragging the pole (along with members of the opposing team) back to your side like this:




The students aren't allowed to wear sunglasses. So they hijacked mine (on the right) instead.


"Bread Relay." They have to grab a bread roll with their teeth and carry it across the finish line.


The winner of the Bread Relay.


Tug-of-war in which homeroom classes are pitted against each other. It's kind of funny to watch 60 kids go at it all at once.


All-class jump rope competition. Again with the homeroom class teams. The winning class managed to jump over 60 times without messing up.


Some of my 2nd year students. "Chee-zu!"

Currently reading: Frank McCourt - 'Tis
Currently playing: Dance Hall Crashers - Whiskey & Gin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home