Tuesday, September 21, 2004

The day I climbed Fuji also happened to be the day I most wanted to die.

Saturday night. We started the 4-hour drive from Nagoya to Fuji-san. Cost of taking the highway: $50. I can't believe they charge people to drive on the freeway here. Bank robbers, all of them! On the way, Ruth's friend, Koji, convinces us that hiking the more difficult trail will be rewarding. "Besides, it has a better view" he says. I will regret our decision in about six hours...

Sunday morning, 6 a.m. We wake up, have a quick breakfast, and start our climb from level 5. Don't we look ready to conquer the mountain?




Ignorance is bliss. From the first five minutes, I can tell that this is going to be painful beyond words. I know from pictures and peoples' testimonies that the more popular path winds back and forth, making the climb bearable. The "path" we chose is hardly a path at all, unless you consider jagged boulders and dangerously loose gravel marked by the occasional metal marking rod a "path."


Level 6. If someone suggested quitting and going back, I would have.

Level 7. If someone suggested quitting and going back, I would have.

Level 8. If someone suggested quitting and going back, I don't know what I would have done. The climb is so steep that getting down would be as agonizing as going up. But then again, level 9 is notorious for having very little oxygen. The gale-force winds and fog so dense that I can't see 10 feet ahead of me isn't exactly helping with the decision making process either. Oh yeah, did I mention that since "official" climbing season ended in August, all (and I do mean ALL) of the toilets were closed? And--lucky me!!--the anti-altitude-sickness medication I took was a diuretic.


Level 9. If someone suggested quitting and going back, I would not have bothered with the "going back" part. If I lie down right here, hypothermia will kill me slowly and relatively painlessly, right?


Level 10. The summit. I'm not so much happy to reach the top as I am RELIEVED that there is no more up to go.


The hike down takes three hours, but it's physically more painful that going up. My kneecaps are ready to pop off. How much does kneecap-replacement surgery cost these days?

I won't candy-coat it. Climbing venerable Fuji-san was no cake walk and right now, I can't say for sure if it was really worth it or not. At least I can say that I did it. As the saying goes: A wise man climbs Fuji once. Only a foolish man would climb it twice. Thank God that's over.




Currently reaing: Frankie McCourt - Angela's Ashes
Currently playing: No Doubt - Hella Good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home