Monday, April 19, 2004

I love how some of the new english teachers at this school can't speak a word of english. I love how when I asked them yesterday about the lesson plan for today, they smiled and said not to worry. I love how today, 2 minutes before classes started, those same teachers looked at me expectantly and asked "do you have any ideas?" I love how they stood there in the classroom like deaf-mutes. I love how I had to improvise 45 minutes worth of fucking alphabet games while the english teacher just took up space. I love how the homeroom teacher and vice-principal unexpectedly showed up for class today "just to watch" and of course I was up there floundering like a fish out of water. I love how my job title is ALT -- ASSISTANT language teacher-- and what I'm doing now is far from being an assistant. God I love being held responsible when someone else royally fucks up, doesn't ask for help, drops the ball, then stands aside so that I get the blame.

I'm trying to be understanding. I'm trying to be patient. But it's unforgiveable that I asked more than once if they wanted me to plan something and they flat out told me no, it's OK. If I wasn't already sort of suspicious and I hadn't prepared some activities and materials anyway, today's four classes would have been a complete and utter disaster. That's just not fair to the students. Or to me.

Sometimes I think that this job is soooo easy and I feel guilty that I'm getting paid this much to do the job of a tape player. But every now and then, there are times when I realize that I'm so completely not on the receiving end. This is going to be one of those weeks. It's only Tuesday and I'm already in a crappy crappy mood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home