Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Crappy week: day 3
We can add complete and utter embarassment in front of a 35-student jr. high school class to my exciting week. In the middle of class today, while I was trying to help teach a lesson on "would you like something to drink?", one student asks a question, completely interrupting everything. Our exchange went something like this (italics indicate Japanese):

student: Grace-sensei, how do you say "fat" in english?
me: Fat.
student: How do you say "pudgy" in english?
me: Pudgy.
student: OK. Grace-sensei pudgy. Not skinny. Pudgy. Fat.

Did anyone see the grammar error in that last sentence? It's lacking the predicate, genius. And you've been studying english for three years? How do you say "moron" in Japanese?

Stupid little snot. I wanted to smack him but then I think that would fall under discipline and they just don't do that in Japanese schools. It's not that he called me a fat cow. That's not what pisses me off. It's the fact that he went out of his way to set me up for the humiliation in the middle of my lesson. That's like murder one: totally premeditated and shit. Whatever.

This week's almost over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home