Thursday, February 26, 2004

I'm wary of romantic comedies as most of them fall victim to overused cliches and sappy feel-good endings. Sometimes, the movie is clever and different and has REAL acting (So I Married an Axe Murderer, My Sassy Girl, Bridget Jones' Diary) and I will enjoy it. But I am not often proven wrong, as lame movies abound (Notting Hill, Runaway Bride, You've Got Mail [and bad grammar], 6 Days 7 Nights, America's Sweethearts, Maid in Manhattan etc etc... J.Lo, Hugh Grant, Richard Gere, Ben Affleck).

I was, however, pleasantly surprised by Love Actually. I enjoyed it thoroughly for it lacked the abundance of rank cheese that is usually present in movies like this. Someone with whom I watched this movie mentioned that it reminded him of Four Weddings and a Funeral , so I rented it with hopes that maybe it might be good. And also just out of pure morbid curiosity.

After watching Four Weddings (in two different installments. I started falling asleep during the first half, it was THAT good), I came to these conclusions:

1) I still dislike Hugh Grant very much. This is the rule and Love Actually is the exception.
2) I dislike boring uninteresting female lead characters. Andie MacDowell's included.
3) The guy always gets the girl...
4) ...but not without having to surpass seemingly insurmountable obstacles. It just takes TWO FREAKIN' HOURS FOR HIM TO ACCOMPLISH THE INEVITABLE.

The only thing about Four Weddings that I really liked was the cute Scottish boy--I think his name was Matthew??--and I was trying and trying to remember why he looked so familiar and I figured out it was because he was the cute Scottish boy in Sliding Doors, which I DID enjoy. John Hannah, who played Matthew, is an excellent actor who never comes across as slimy or gross like certain actors coughHughGrantRichardGerecough. I think I need a movie with some gratuitously violent gunfights or something...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home