Sunday, February 01, 2004

How well can we say we know someone? Can we honestly claim to know anyone as well as we know ourselves? And on that some note, do we even know oursleves? Just because we spend a lot of time with someone doesn't necessarily mean we know that person. While some people may be completely honest about themselves and others can be entirely transparent and easy to read, I would argue that most of us are deeper or more secretive than that.

As of late, I've been struggling with these questions. I've been trying not only to learn about myself, but to figure out the the people around me. I've learned to be wary. A smile can conceal an injury, arrogance an insecurity, strength an inadequacy. And that applies to me as well. I'm not immune to my own criticisms nor am I exempt from your scrutiny. If you look hard enough, get to know me a little better, don't pass any judgements or give into any preconceptions you may have, then you just might find yourself getting to know the real me.

I never want to be in a position where someone might think that they have an advantage over me. I don't want to appear weak or incompetent. That's one of my biggest flaws: I've always desired the approval of others. I care entirely too much of what others may think of me. So I put up a face. One of confidence and self-assurance when in fact, I'm about as uncertain and indecisive as they come. I don't really know why I insist on doing this; I just do.

Sometimes, the actual truth is so far from what you perceive to be truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home