Monday, January 12, 2004

For the first time in a while, I feel very optimistic. Despite the cold weather, things have been going well here and I'm beginning to think that life in Japan is actually good for me. So far, I have seen JET as an escape, a break from real life. In and of itself, that outlook isn't necessarily bad. But the idea that Japan is merely a hiatus from the rest of my life has been the main obstruction in my decision to recontract with JET. If it's just a break, then I shouldn't waste more time. And that kind of thinking was driving me nuts. If this is all a waste of time, then what's the rest of my life supposed to be like?

But life here is NOT a waste of time. It's not just a break from real life. This IS my life and I am glad that I'm here. I realize now just how much I've changed in the last few months. I'm not a different person. It's not like you won't recognize me if you see me now. I'm still the Grace you all know. I think that I've become more open-minded. I've changed my outlook on life and my priorities. I'm learning to do what I want rather than what I should. I'm beginning to understand that it's OK to enjoy life.

It's not like I've let myself go or anything. I like to think that I've let myself out. Out to see the world. Out to meet new people. Out to experience things in life that I never would have dreamed of doing 6 months ago. I realize that it's perfectly acceptable to take some time off to sit back and enjoy myself and for now, I'm happy. I have a life here and that's more than enough justification to stay in Japan. With that and a clear conscience, I have decided to recontract. So barring any horrible unforseeable misfortunes between now and the deadline for recontracting, I will stay in Japan until August of next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home