Monday, December 01, 2003

What is passion?

Passion is powerful, ardent, intense. It can be deeply overwhelming and enormously satisfying. Some would argue that it gives meaning to our transient time here on Earth.

So what is life without passion?

I'm not entirely sure, but I would like offer my life as an example.

I'm not saying that my life has no meaning, but nothing I have experienced thus far can be classified as "passion." My life has been dictated by duty and necessity and I have done all that is required to be successful in life. I have been dedicated; I've worked hard to pave myself a nice road to the future, but I don't know if I want to walk down that road anymore. I don't know if happiness lies down that path.

But can I find what I'm looking for elsewhere? This is what I've been pondering for nearly a year now. Should I remain on the safe road because I know that will lead to security? Or should I take a chance and try doing something I really love?

If someone asked me this question, I would, without a doubt, tell them to pursue the latter. I have always been a firm believer in happiness over wealth, fulfillment over a Jaguar. And I think I would take my own advice, if I even had a choice. But therein lies the problem. I don't think I want to keep walking this way, but I see no other options. I have no passions, no driving desire to go pursue something else. Nor do I have a single talent that stands out, screaming to be nurtured and molded to fit into the rest of my life. I have no goals, no future vision, no lust for life.

So now I stand at a turning point. Not a crossroads, because that would suggest the existence of options. I have two choices: 1) continue down my current path because I know that will lead to job security, a comfortable but possibly unsatisfying life, a little house in a little town OR 2) turn around, backtrack and find where I missed that fork in the road, no matter how long it takes, and take that chance that I missed somewhere along the way.

If I actually KNEW what that missed chance was, I would definitely head back. But for now, I will sit here and sulk, because I don't know what I'm going to do with myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home