Friday, October 31, 2003

A little reminder from the past wrenched me into a world where everything doesn't revolve around me and suddenly, the feelings and thoughts of other people matter a lot more.

I know I've been less than a good sister. I'm sorry for having been so pushy and judgemental. I'm sorry for taking sides when you needed an ally. I'm sorry for ever questioning you, for not believing, for holding you up to standards that were never your own.

I regret not having supported you the way I should have, as your sister. You didn't need a critic. You needed a friend. I regret not truly listening, for giving "advice" that I know now was not good for you then. I regret that I sometimes meddled too much and sometimes not enough.

Being older and possibly wiser--the latter still remains to be seen--I'll say this: Live your life as you see fit. Have no regrets. If you feel yourself regretting something, make the change. Act on it to better yourself and accomplish something. Don't dwell; move on because life is too short to think about what could have been. Don't fall back on laziness or convenience or facility. Do what you really truly want to do and only then can you look back and see that you have nothing to regret.

And hopefully, I'll be able to take my own advice someday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home