Tuesday, October 28, 2003

I got my first real dose of culture in Japan last weekend with my trip to Japan's first official capital city: Nara. It became the capital in the year 710 and remained so for about the next 70 years or so. After the capital was moved to Kyoto, Nara kind of slipped into obscurity and thus survived many wars and invasions and remained pretty much unharmed to this day. It is a really beautiful little city and I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend there. My only regret was that I didn't have enough time to see all of the shrines and temples. There's always next time...

Nara at sunset:


Todaiji Temple. The largest wooden building in the world. Contains one of the largest Buddha statues in the world. I don't remember the exact specs, but it was HUGE. An adult can squeeze through one nostril of this Buddha.


Kofukuji Temple. The second tallest pagoda in Japan. It is only a few centimeters shorter than the tallest pagoda which is in Kyoto. It's still pretty impressive if you ask me.


Next weekend's trip: KYOTO!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home