Sunday, September 21, 2003

When I was told that in Japan, autumn comes suddenly and out of nowhere, I didn't really believe it. They said that around the autumnal equinox, the weather will suddenly turn cold, the wind will start to blow, and the rain will just stop coming down. Well, that is exactly what happened between last night and this morning. Last week was really hot and humid. The sun was out, the insects were buzzing around, and I still slept with all of my windows open, the fan blowing directly on my head, and all I needed to use as a cover was a bedsheet. And it was still pretty hot.

On Friday, clouds rolled in and it started to rain. It didn't stop all weekend. We were due for another hot, humid, rainy typhoon and it was supposed to make landfall in Mie early today. It was raining last night when I went to sleep.

However, when I woke up this morning, the sky was absolutely clear and strikingly blue. You know that kind of sky you get during the windter months in California. It was also frigid this morning. I actually had to get up out of bed at 4 a.m. to pull my warmest comforter out of my closet. When biking to school this morning, it was so cold and windy that I actually had to wear sweat pants. And I didn't even break much of a sweat biking up the hill that my school sits on top of. And now I'm sitting inside of the teacher's room with a cardigan on and I'm still not really warm.

The autumnal equinox is officially tomorrow. I'd say that autumn came a day too early this year. This country never fails to amaze me.

On another note, I got my hair cut yesterday. After much searching, I found a place that cuts hair for less than wallet-busting sum of $50. I see now why haircuts in Japan cost so much. They are never just cuts. They shampooed and conditioned my hair both before and after my cut. While waiting, I got a scalp and shoulder massage. My hairdresser went over various hair styles with me before the big cut and she even blowdried/styled it and everything afterwards. And the end result: the best haircut I have ever gotten. I am so happy with my haircut that it's unbelieveable. And the cost of the best haircut? About $40. Come to think of it, I think that's how much I paid to get my hair done for prom and this cut will last me a month and a half at the very least. A small price to pay to have my hair look nice. I don't think I'll be able to go back to Supercuts again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home