Sunday, September 07, 2003

In regards to the last set of comments:

Eva: I have the coolest engrish shirt. It says 'cherry brossams. makes me feel good/nice (something like that). I want to sleep with you.' I will be the height of fashion when I get back to the States.

Don: Here is a bad joke that my mom told me about English lessons taught in Korea (also applies to Japanese schools). A fobby Korean guy got into a horrible car accident and was pinned beneath his car and was on the verge of death. When the ambulance arrived, the EMT asked, 'how are you?' The Korean guy answered 'I am fine, thank you. And you?'

Eric: Riding my bike is fine. Until it rains. Ever tried riding your bike for 4 km in a thunderstorm?

I thought that I could use this past weekend to catch up on sleep and recover from the last four weeks of a new JET's crazy lifestyle. No such luck. I think I've slept about 20 hours in the last four days or so. Hey, kind of reminds me of college... except with Scottish people instead of Californians, and Japan instead of Berkeley, and work instead of classes, and lesson plans instead of midterms...

All JETs--well, maybe not all. Maybe more like 99.8% of JETs--like to drink way too much. I think this is partially due to the fact that most of the new JETs in Mie are from England and Scotland and that the JETs from California have all graduated from college recently. I've finally figured out the pattern: "Let's go get dinner" actually means "Let's go somewhere and get drunk after we eat." "Let's hang out at my apartment" actually means "Let's stay here and get drunk." And of course, "Let's go karaoking" means "Let's drink while we make idiots of ourselves."

Friday: A 2nd year JET who lives in my town threw his very first house party. This is a good example of situation #2. I got the chance to meet a lot of re-contracting JETs in my area. As I said before, they do a really good job of selecting JETs. I have yet to meet a JET that I dislike greatly. Nearly everyone I've met are really awesome, very friendly, and all around good people. I also discovered a way cool Japanese drink called a Chu-Hi. It's stronger than beer and tastes like wine coolers. Good for people like me. I hate beer and will only resort to it if there is no alternative. Or unless someone buys me one. Free stuff is good. Ruth and Lewis (who live in Yokkaichi) spent the night at my apartment since the last train stops running at midnight. So early.... sheesh.

Saturday: Ruth and I meet up with three girls from Nabari (Ruth and I spent last weekend in Nabari and Osaka) and one from Asahi (like the beer. But Asahi beer is not made here. This is a small po-dunk town near Kuwana) and we head out for a night on the town in Yokkaichi. Lewis decided that he needs to express his more manly side and he heads off to Ise to go watch a soccer match with some of the other boys from Mie. In a small bar in Yokkaichi, we met some crazy 53-year-old woman who kept taking us to random places. She insisted that we call her "mom." I can't express to you just how messed up Saturday night - Sunday morning was. "Mom" kept buying us drinks and tried to set us up with Japanese men she knew. She kept us all up until 5 in the morning when we decided to put her in a cab and call it a night. If you want to know the details, call me or email me and I will let you know. Let's just say that this was by far the craziest night I've ever had. Crash at Ruth's place as the sun comes up...

Sunday Afternoon: We found a THAI restaurant!!!! Thai curry for lunch and Hagen Daaz sundae for dinner.

Sunday night: Natalie, a 3rd year JET who lives upstairs from me, invited the Friday Kuwana bunch over for movies and snacks. We were all good teachers and we didn't partake in any questionable activities. I mean, we all had to go teach today!

And what am I going to do today after school? Go have coffee with Ruth and Lewis. No really. JUST COFFEE. Well, maybe tea for me because I don't drink coffee. Then after that? SLeep for 12 hours. I think I need sleeeeeeep...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home