Friday, September 05, 2003

I found out that it's really not as hard as I thought it would be. I could very easily fill up an hour with info about me and my home country because I am forced to speak really S-L-O-W-L-Y and repeat myself multiple times. And I came up with a few fun activities and games about the geography of the U.S. and my hobbies and these pass time quite nicely. The students are really shy and don't readily volunteer, but they're good kids and they try hard. I have given my self-introduction 6 times already, and next week, I have to give it 9 more times. And since I'm teaching at 3 junior high schools total, I'm guessing that I'll have to give my self-introduction another 20 times or so. And that's not including my bi-weekly elementary school visits. I think I'm going to get very good at talking about myself.

I have to teach my first real lesson next week (not just a lesson about myself). And this is the passage in the text that I have to teach:

I am a bird. I am in the sky
You hear me every morning.
I am a human. I like you.
We are together.

I am a flower. I am in the field.
You see me every morning.
I am a human. I like you.
We are together.

I am a dolphin. I am in the ocean.
You call me every morning.
I am a human. I like you.
We are together, together in nature.


And I am Grace. I am embarrassed for whoever wrote this passage in the 7th graders' textbook.

What am I supposed to do with this?? I mean, the grammar is all correct. The words are used correctly, too. It just SOUNDS really strange. 'We are together.' hmmm.... Oh well. The lesson must go on...

I have to ride my bike to and from work. That translates to an 8-kilometer round trip. My next school is a 10-kilometer round trip away from my apartment. I will be so in shape when I get back to the U.S.! I am so glad that it's Friday. I think I need this weekend to sleep and recover from 40 km of biking. This weekend, I am only riding the trains...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home