Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I went on my first weekend-long excursion. My coworkers and I headed to the southern regions of Mie-ken to a small town called Kumano for what was supposedly the "best" fireworks festival in all of Japan. I must say, that after watching the fireworks, I was thoroughly impressed. They did some crazy things like shoot fireworks off of two boats that are speeding towards each other and light a giant firework that nearly filled the entire Kumano bay. Very cool. Beats the pants off of those Magic Mountain fireworks that I was forced to watch every single day two summers in a row.

We stayed with another JET in Kumano... a friend of a coworker. We also met up with a lot of local JETs as well and there was much BBQing and drinking. All in all, I think everyone involved had a great time and this has sparked an interest in making many small trips on the weekends. I will discuss this in more detail later, as I have little time left here at work.

Lessons learned this weekend: Karaoking is only possible when drunk. However, I should never drink half a bottle of gin. Local trains cost less but are a pain in the ass to take (since they take FOREVER to get where you need to go). Pizza in Japan is not good.

Next weekend's excursion: Nagoya.

Peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home