Monday, August 11, 2003

(Apostrophes courtesy of my coworker's AMERICAN Mac)

I've decided (for now anyway. This opinion is subject to change) that Japan might be a better place for me to visit but not necessarily to live. Life here is very different from the U.S., California in particular. I'm finding it kind of difficult to adjust to the weather and little things like finding a grocery store has become something of a challenge. The biggest thing is that I am having trouble adjusting to living alone. I guess living alone wouldn't be so bad if I was living in the U.S., it's just that hardly anyone in Japan speaks English. And you all know that my conversational Japanese is lacking at best. I guess it's safe to say that I'm getting a little homesick. I didn't think it could happen to me. Hopefully, this feeling will pass, especially seeing how I still have to spend more than 50 weeks here.

I like being at work--depsite having nothing much to do yet since it's still summer break here--and my coworkers are really nice. It's pretty fun to go out with them, have dinner and the like. It's just that at the end of the day, we all go our separate ways and I return to my apartment that feels like it's located in the ass-end of Kuwana. It's really not the ass-end, it just feels like it right now since I don't know quite how to get around.

And there are two more JETs that I haven't met yet. They're returning english teachers so they're both on vacation right now. Luckily for me, they both live in my apartment complex. Unluckily for me, they don't get back until the end of the month, so I'm pretty much on my own. Oh wait, I DO have a new roommate. He's the giant flying cockroach the size of Montana that I found sitting on my kitchen floor a few days ago. I freaked out and I looked around briefly looking for something with which I could kill it and that bastard scurried off somewhere. I haven't seen him since, but I have a feeling he's still around. I swear to God, he's the size of my index finger. I hope he decided that my aparment isn't filthy enough for him and he found his way outside. If I see him again, I don't know if I'd have the nerve to squish something so unnaturally large.

And if isolation from real people wasn't enough, my phone is seriously gimpy and I cannot make phone calls. I can receive calls, but I can't make them. The other day I had to find a payphone so that I could call my parents. I haven't talked to them since the first day that I arrived in Tokyo. Needless to say, they were pretty worried.

I work Monday - Friday from (including commuting time) around 7:30AM - 5:30PM. To convert from California time to Japanese time, add four hours to California time and switch the AM and the PM. Example: 5AM California time = 9PM Japan time. My phone number is: 0594-22-8660. I'm fucking lonely, so if you have the time and don't mind paying an arm and a leg for a phone call to Japan, give me a ring. I'd really like to hear a familiar voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home