Wednesday, June 11, 2003


In honor of the boredom that has been my life for the past few days, I bring to you, devoted readers, a website that will kill at least 10 minutes of your day. Revel in the joys of bad Asian-ified Engrish. This guy updates frequently, so bookmark this page if you like what you see!

And if you just can't get enough, you can make your own "engrish." It's fast & easy (perfect for you, Eva!) and provides hours of enjoyment. Well, maybe not hours, but it can kill another 10 minutes of your day. So, go to Alta Vista's Babel Fish and:

Step 1: Type in a grammatically correct English sentence that makes perfect sense.
Step 2: Set it to translate from "English to Japanese" and hit the "Translate" button.
Step 3: Copy the Japanese translation and paste it into the "Translate Again" box.
Step 4: Set it to translate from "Japanese to English." Hit the "Translate" button.
Step 5: See how far off the re-translation is. Usually, it doesn't even resemble the original sentence.

Here are some real-life examples:

Original sentence: I like to go camping on weekends.
Re-translation: I weekend camping like the fact that it goes.

Original sentence: Grace is the coolest person in the world.
Re-translation: Elegance is the person where the world is coolest. (suddenly, I'm elegant....)

Original sentence: (my favorite one) I like drinking iced tea in the morning.
Re-translation: (are you READY for this one??) I freezing and others during morning like the fact that the brown which is done is drunk.

Have fun. And let me know of some of the crazy re-translations you come up with!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home