Tuesday, May 06, 2003


Today's topic: Kickin' it with the Chancellor.

So, Anjali and I were invited to go hang out with Bob at his place today. I must say, he has great taste in decorating. Loved the look. Beautiful mahogany wood furniture, immaculately varnished, not a scratch or a dent in sight. And no detail was too small: fresh flowers everywhere, artwork on the walls, doilies under every vase. And he even surprised us with scrumptious hors d'oeuvres, straight from his private kitchen. We got to chill in his living room, sit on his comfy sofa, and enjoy the live jazz ensemble. Yeah, we're that cool.

No, actually, we were there with about 200 other graduating seniors. Everyone who had donated money to the Senior gift fund was invited to a reception hosted by Cal's one and only, Chancellor Robert Berdahl. Anjali and I went just to see what the inside of the University House looked like. It was pure curiosity. I'm sure you've all seen it from afar. The beautiful house nestled in the trees behind Giannini Hall. The giant clock made of flowers and shrubbery. And his garden! You can't actually see that from the front; it's only visible from the inside of his house (and I got a glimpse, since I was cool enough to actually go inside his "humble" abode!). We were just commenting on how it would be the perfect location for a small and very cute outdoor wedding.

I can just see it now.
Fast foward to 2013:

Grace: Hey, Robert! How's it goin'?
Chancellor Berdahl: Hi. Who is this?
Grace: It's me, Grace. I made a generous donation of $20.03 to the Senior Gift Fund, oh, about 10 years ago. You remember me, right? We TOTALLY bonded over our 30 second conversation after we took a picture together.
Chancellor Berdahl: umm....
Grace: I'm that MCB major. That's GOT to jog your memory.
Chancerllor Berdahl: actually....
Grace: My friend is getting married soon and she was asking me if I knew of any places that she could hold the ceremony. And I was like, "yeah, totally. Robert and I are tight. We're thisclose, yo." So I decided to call you up. So, yeah, how does that sound? You up for it?
Chancellor Berdahl: How did you get this number? Stop harrassing me.

*click*

See me and Anjali "hanging out" and the Chancellor's:
Sitting in his couch
Standing by the garden
With the big man, himself


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home