Sunday, April 27, 2003


I know this is twice in one day, but I felt this overwhelming need to waste more time in the face of a whole shitload of things to do. So, instead of working on my thesis, my Southeast Asian Studies paper, my MCB lab report, or the PSP digital yearbook (I'm still waiting on all of you delinquent PSPers who have not sent me your shout-outs! And thanks to those who got them to me ON TIME), I felt compelled to write about my excursion to San Francisco with Kim yesterday.

For those who don't know, yesterday was the second day of WonderCon, the Bay Area's biggest comic book convention. Kim and I volunteered in order to get free admission--and also just because we thought that it might be cool--and ended up getting the lame job of "greeting" people at the door, aka "running after them and making them fill out registration forms before they got to the front desk."

But the whole experience was very cool. I got to run around like a giddy little child in a candy store and just be silly for a day. I got to be excited about watching all of The Hulk movie previews and the newest Matrix Reloaded trailer that was only released this past Friday. For you Matrix fans out there, the Wachowski Brothers have written scripts for 9 short animated features which will be released on DVD this summer sometime. The Animatrix, as it is called, looks super-cool and you can download some of the shorts from the website. Go check it out. And I have a screener for all nine of the shorts (wahoo for freebies!) if you are interested in watching them. On a side note, I also found the two issues of The Masters of the Universe comics that I was missing. Yeah, I know. What's so cool about He-man? Let's just say I'm a sucker for 80's cartoons. Or maybe it has something to do with a buff man in a loincloth.... who knows?

The best thing though was meeting comic book artists who haven't made it big yet. Some of them have written excellent books. Check out Jeff Parker's The Interman. He was nice enough to sign my book and draw a little picture. I even met a writer who knows my Southeast Asian Studies professor. Small world, no?

So anyway, ComicCon International comes to San Diego this summer, July 17 - 20. Anyone want to go with me? I promise you, it'll be a good time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home